Amber's Review: Warcross by Marie Lu

Title: Warcross (Warcross #1)
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Penguin Group 
Rating: 4/5 stars 
Kindle Edition, 366 Pages
Published: September 12th, 2017 


Read Jessica's Review Here!!

Summary:
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation. Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire. 


When I finished Warcross last night, I was kicking myself because when I first tried to read Warcross in December I DNFed it. I have no idea what I was thinking or why I had done that, but Marie Lu is a to-go-to author for me so I knew I had to give her novel another try. I am so glad I did! When news broke about this book I was still on my blogging/reading hiatus so I didn't get the proper opportunity to fan girl and talk about it with the rest of our blogger friends. I am also extremely behind on new releases and I'm eagerly trying to catch up. But can we please talk about that cover?! The colors and the design. It's beautiful and eye catching. 

I loved Emika's character. She felt extremely real to me. I don't picture this book taking place to far in the future, but far enough to have the technological advances that it did. To be completely blunt: Emika had the shitty end of the stick before Hideo hired her to be a bounty hunter for him (More on this further in my review!) With that being said though, she didn't have the "poor me. Look at how hard my life is. Feel bad for me" attitude and persona that some characters in other YA novels have had. Emika works hard to have a better life, her reputation is stained because she tried getting justice for someone who was deeply wronged, she works hard for her money to pay her rent and the last of her father's bills from before he died. Never once in all of that did she cry wolf about how hard and sucky her life it. Yes, she talked about her father and how she missed him. But she also a young girl who is basically an orphan. 

Emika is a skilled hacker, and in an attempt to get enough money to pay her rent for the month accidentally glitches herself into the Warcross championship game. Where Emika thinks she is going to be arrested for hacking into the game, the reverse actually happens. Hideo Tanaka, the creator of the Neruolink glasses that are used for Warcross and all the virtual benefits they have, contacts Emika with an interesting offer. There has been a security breach in Warcross and he needs help tracking down the hacker that is going to jeopardize the game. 

I fell in love with Hideo, there was just something about him that I completely adore. At first he is very closed off towards Emika but eventually we see him open up in ways he hasn't to other people. I loved the budding romance between Emika and Hideo, it wasn't too much to take over the plot. Meaning it wasn't the sole focus of the novel. But it was enough to keep me grinning. They are adorable. I can't help it. I want more. I hope there is more in the next book. I'm basically begging at this point. 

Warcross was heavy on the world building, which was necessary considering the virtual reality aspect and explaining the futuristic world. After you got past the first chunk of it in the beginning it was smooth sailing. I think that's where is ended up stopping the first time that I read Warcross, I am not a fan of heavy world building even though I love Science Fiction and Fantasy novels. Those worlds have to be built. It just comes with the genres. The world was interesting though, especially the fields they used for the Warcross games, futuristic Tokyo and New York. 

All in all I really enjoyed Warcross and I can't wait for the continuation of the series! (Last I checked there wasn't a date or summary on Goodreads yet, so I am going to try and patiently wait but I NEED MORE HIDEO!) 



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️