ARC Review: Even if the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia

Title: Even if the Sky Falls 
Author: Mia Garcia
Genre: Contemporary 
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: May 10th 2016
 
Summary:
All she needs is one night to be anyone she wants. Julie is desperate for a change. So she heads to New Orleans with her youth group to rebuild houses and pretend her life isn’t a total mess. But between her super-clingy team leader and her way-too-chipper companions, Julie feels more trapped than ever. In a moment of daring, she ditches her work clothes for DIY fairy wings and heads straight into the heart of Mid-Summer Mardi Gras, where she locks eyes with Miles, an utterly irresistible guy with a complicated story of his own. And for once, Julie isn’t looking back. She jumps at the chance to see the real New Orleans, and in one surreal night, they dance under the stars, share their most shameful secrets, and fall in love. But their adventure takes an unexpected turn when an oncoming hurricane changes course. As the storm gains power and Julie is pulled back into chaos she finds pretending everything is fine is no longer an option.


This book goes against my insta-love issue. Everything happens in one night, and it is so so so great. So for this book I put that little quirk aside because I can't help but say I love the story and the romance its self. But it was an amazing debut novel and I am already excited to see what Garcia is going to publish next. 

After an accident at home Julie wants to get away. With her church's youth group she heads down the New Orleans to help build houses. But even with that she still feels trapped. At the spur of the moment Julie darts and hops onto a bus that takes her into the heart of Mardi Gras. With her red hand made fairy wings she off into the world of New Orleans alone and finally free. That is until she meets Miles. One night. No Baggage. No Names. Just living in the moment. 

I think I would have appreciated Julie's character more if the incident that caused her to leave home was revealed earlier and not at the climax of the book when five million others things going on. In my head she was running away from her brother (which in a sense is true.) But you don't find out the real cause until the end. Despite that I enjoyed Julie's character. She made a rash decision, and decided to let free for one night. In a sense I saw myself in her character. I loved Miles and his blue spiky hair. Even though we don't know his real name to the end of the book. 

I am rolling my eyes at myself as I type this paragraph because it was one night, but the romance. Despite the fact that it takes place over the course of one night it is slow. A touch here. A thought there. Until you are reading faster so you can get to the point where they finally kiss. Insta-love can go wrong in so many ways, but I loved how Garcia managed it in this book. It wasn't too over done. 

Overall I really enjoyed Even if the Sky Falls and I am excited to see Garcia's future works. Because her writing is beautiful. 






1 comment

  1. Breathtaking cover + New Orleans (the most beautiful place I have ever been to!) + Romance + Debut author = I'm reading this book as soon as I can get my hands on it.

    Great review! I think if I hadn't read it, I would have been worried about the insta love. Thanks to you, I know it's well done and I can read this book in peace.

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️