ARC Review: Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

Title: Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1)
Author: Alwyn Hamilton 
Genre: Fantasy 
Source: ARC via Publisher 
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: March 8th 2016 

Summary: 
She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands. Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from. Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.



Oh my goodness. I was so worried I wasn't going to like Rebel of the Sands because of all the hype but boy was I wrong! I promise this review won't be a gush about how much I want to marry Jin, or for you to buy the book. (I'm trying to promise this but be warned: it's probably going to be just that.) I want to thank Rachel from Penguin Teen for this amazing opportunity! 

First off, I love Amani's name. I debated for a few minute whether I should name my daughter that when I had a daughter, but that is a long way off so back to my review: That girl is so damn fierce. Typically you see the growth through out the book but she stays fierce through out it all. It is pretty amazing! On a personal sense I understand her desperation to leave her home. But Amani want to leave because she is soon to be wed to her uncle, who she despises. After her mother was hung her aunt and uncle took her in, and never let her forget the fact of her mother's death. They treat her horribly. I don't believe for one second that she wouldn't want to get out of it. 

At a shoot out range one night Amani meets Fin (a handsom foreigner to the town of Dustwalk) under the disguise of a boy named the Blue Eye Bandit, the Bandit part sticking with her for the remainder of the book. Amani who is skilled with a gun hopes to win the prize money to escape Dustwalk and her fate. But when plans fail, unexpected ones arise and once lucky night Jin takes her with him, both leaving Dustwalk behind. 

Hamilton did a create job with the world building. The history behind the world, the magical aspects and the djinni. It was a real interesting concept, especially when the Dijinni would procreate with humans and what was created. Everything was rich, and thoroughly described in a way that made sense. Especially the romance, there was no rush and it was nice with a bit of a slow burn to it. 

That is all I am going to describe because then I am going to end up spoiling it. (and I really want you to read this book and not know everything because my review!) 

Overall I adored Rebel of the Sands and can't wait for the sequel! It was perfect for those readers who love a romance, action, adventure, and culture in their stories, if I could I would be rating this more then five stars! 








3 comments

  1. I can't wait to read this one. Everyone seems to love it!

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one! I've been hearing nothing but good things! :D
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely smitten with this book ;) I loved the fusing of Wild West, Middle Eastern culture, and djinn. Who would've thought?! It works perfectly!! Great review <3

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️